The Danish frigate Fredensborg hit ground at Tromøya outside Arendal 1.December 1768. She sailed on her regular route between Africa, America and Europe in the slave trading, and was on her way home. Cannons and other inventory was salvaged after the grounding, but the ship itself was abandoned and forgotten. The remains of her was found by sports divers in September 1974. The site was surveyed and excavated in 1975 and 1977 by the Norwegian Maritime Museum. The remaining two cannons, some ivory and other items of historical interest was salvaged. The few remains of her rest today in the bay at Glitmertangen on the east side of Tromøya island.

Former names:

100,0 x ? x ? f
Tons: Built: Home Port:
599 grt
København ( DK ) 1753 København ( DK )

Picture: Scale model of the frigate Fredensborg
Norwegian Maritime Museum,photo NSM12040