Südmeer

Finnmark,Norway

Colonia as she was originally named when she was laid down, was built in Newcastle in 1902, and had during her career done service as a cable ship and floating whaling factory. In 1902 she laid the worlds longest telegraph cable between Fanning Island and Bamfield. She was sold to Norway in 1928 and put in service in the whaling industry. Ten years later she was sold to Germany, and three years after that she saw service for the German Kriegsmarine. According to several sources she was put in service as a depot and transport vessel for the Finnish Petsamo front in 1941, based in Kirkenes. She was sunk by Russian airplanes 14.October 1944 northeast of Nordkapp. The wreck rest today with the stern section on a depth of approx 300 meter north east of Sværholtklubben between Porsangerfjord and Laksefjord. The bow section has not been found according to the Norwegian SFT report from 1993.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Südmeer
Colonia, Torodd, Sydis 148,5 x 17,1 x 11,9 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
8133 grt
Newcastle ( UK ) 1902 Kirkenes ( N )

N 70.03 E 25.1
( Source: Sjøhistorie )



Picture: Colonia
Courtesy of Tyne Built Ships

Last updated: June 2019