Albert Janus

Møre & Romsdal,Norway

The steamer Sint Philipsland was built by Voorh Rijkee & Company in Rotterdam, and was launched in 1916. She was completed and delivered to her owners in September that same year. She had a straightforward career until the outbreak of Second World War. After the German invasion of Holland in May 1940, she was confiscated by the Kriegsmarine and renamed Albert Janus. In a convoy with the steamers Dockenhunden, Cygnus and Radbod, only guarded by the guard boat V-6805, they were attacked outside Ørsta by British Beaufighter airplanes on an "Anti shipping" mission 5. December 1944. The wreck rest today on a depth of 62 to 73 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Albert Janus
Sint Philipsland 89,7 x 13,1 x 5,4 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1598 grt Rotterdam ( NL ) 1916 Emden ( D )

GPS (WGS84): N62°11.549' E6°06.779'
( Source: Vragguiden )

Picture: Sint Philipsland
Originally from skovheim.org

Last updated: May 2018