Nordnorge

Nordland,Norway

The steamship Nordnorge was built by Tondhjems Mekaiske Verksted and was launched in January 1924. She was delivered to Oftens Dampskibselskab AS and served as a coastal express between Trondheim and Narvik. In 1936 she was rebuilt and lengthened, and put in service on the company's route between Bergen and Kirkenes. Under the German invasion of Norway in April 1940, Operation Weserubüng, she was completing her annual overhaul in Trondheim. 7.May 1940 she was confiscated by Kriegsmarine and used for military transport. Approx 300 Austrian mountain troops from 138.Gebirgsjäger Regiment entered the ship. She left 9.May, and two days later they arrived Hemnesberget where the soldiers stormed ashore. Nordnorge waited in the harbor to unload ammunition and supplies when the British light cruiser HMS Calcutta and the destroyer HMS Zulu attacked in the evening. She was hit by cannon fire and two torpedoes, igniting the ammunition on board before she went down. The wreck was found in 2020 with a ROV, and rest today on a depth of approx 280 meter a few hundred meters outside Præstengkaia.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Nordnorge

181,6 x 29,7 x 19,6 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
991 grt / 556 nrt
Trondheim ( N ) 1924
Narvik ( N )


Picture: Nordnorge
Courtesy of Sjøhistorie, unknown photographer

Last updated: January 2021