Siw-Aina

Nordland,Norway

Siw-Aina sank in Svolvær harbor after a long and faithful service 15.October 1982. She was built in 1900 for the Norwegian navy under the name KNM Farm and did service for the Navy until the German invasion of Norway in April 1940. When the German Kampfgruppe V with the heavy cruiser Blücher in the lead went up the Oslofjord, Farm patrolled as a neutrality guard in the Oslofjord. She did not come in contact with the superior German navy vessels, and 12.April she was taken over by Kriegsmarine in Tønsberg. She was then renamed to NO 30 Armin and used as a hospital ship. This was to be her duty until 1945 when she was put in service as a minesweeper. After the war she was rebuilt several times, and in 1979 she was sold to her last owner in Kabelvåg. In 1980 she was renamed Siw-Aina, and two years later she was condemned and scuttled. The wreck rest today outside the breakwater in Svolvær harbor on a depth of 20 to 30 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Siw-Aina
KNM Farm, NO30 Armin
Oborg,Uløy,Tunstein
41,5 x 6,1 x 3,5 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
216,9 grt Stavanger ( N ) 1900 Svolvær ( N )


Picture: KNM Farm
Originally from skovheim.org

Last updated: December 2020