HNoMS Sperm

Rogaland,Norway

The whaler Sperm was built by Akers Mekaniske Verksted in Oslo, and was launched in 1925 for the Norwegian company Hvalfangstselskapet Norge AS. She was requisitioned by the Norwegian Navy in 1939 and did service as a guard boat under the German invasion of Norway, operation Weserübung, in April 1940. After the German forces had advanced further in land just a few days later, she was scuttled by her own crew 12. April 1940 southwest of Vikedal. The wreck rest today northwest of Håvika on a depth of 55 to 65 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HNoMS Sperm
Sperm 106,4 x 21,1 x 12,9 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
239 grt   Oslo ( N ) 1925 Ålesund ( N )
GPS: N59.29.245, E05.53.730

Picture: HNoMS Sperm in 1940
Courtesy of Norwegian Defense Museums