Løveid

Telemark,Norway

The small steamer Løveid was built in 1870 in Kristiania, for service in the Telemark area and her canals.  In 1892 the hull was extended with ten feet and she had a slight increase in her tonnage. She was put into local transport in the Grenland area acting as a passenger and postal ferry. In 1939 she was bought by Olaf and Frank Beier, but the loss of her barely a year after resulted in a great economic loss. On her last journey she was carrying a cargo of 28 cases of porcelain from the company Porsgrund Porselænfabrik. She went down 23.October 1940, and the wreck rest today on a depth of approx 35 to 40 meter right outside the pier


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Løveid

66,0 x 13,2 x 3,1 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
53 grt
Kristiania ( N ) 1870 Porsgrunn ( N )

GPS: N 59 07.221 E 9 36.743

Picture : Løveid
Courtesy of Notodden Historielag