HMS Curlew

Troms,Norway

HMS Curlew was a British light cruiser laid down by Vickers-Armstrong 14.December 1917. She did service in several squadrons and had different tasks in both Asia and South America until she was put in the reserves in 1927. In the mid 1930s the British Admiralty produced several different prototypes of new warships, and HMS Curlew was pointed out as a prototype for a new class of Antiaircraft cruisers. She was still at the shipyard at the outbreak of second world war in 1939, but was soon transferred to Home Fleet. Under the German invasion of Norway in April 1940, the Allies launched an expedition to help Norway in their fight. Curlew did service as an escort along the Norwegian coastline and 26.May 1940 she laid anchored outside Skånland when she was attacked by German planes. She was heavily damaged under the attack and was put ashore and abandoned. After the war she was salvaged on site by Norwegian company Høvding Skipsopphugging and the few remains that's left of her rest on a depth of 5 to 40 meter at Breistrand.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMS Curlew
D 42 450,3 x 43,5 x 14,8 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
4257 grt Newcastle ( UK ) 1917 Scapa Flow ( UK )

68° 32' 17" N, 16° 37' 18" E


Picture: HMS Curlew
Courtesy of World War