Sirius

Troms,Norway

Sirius was owned by the Norwegian company Bergenske Dampskipselskap and was chartered from July 1894 to July 1895 by the Coastal Express. She had cabins for 70 passengers and in the following years she sailed several routes along the Norwegian coastline. In 1927 the company had bought better ships with better comfort for the passengers, so they decided to remove her cabins and rigged her down to a coastal freighter.  Under a journey from Røsneshavn to Risøyhavn with a crew of nineteen men 18.May 1940, they were requisitioned to bring supplies to the Norwegian forces in Helgeland.  Near Dyrøs they were spotted by a German airplanes, and were soon attacked with machine cannons. On the second attack she was hit by two bombs and shortly after she broke in two parts and went down in the deep. Eight men perished in the sinking of Sirius.The wreck rest today on the north side of Dyrøy on a depth of 45 to 70 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Sirius

91,2 x 28,8 x 20,0 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
877 grt Flensburg ( D ) 1885 Bergen ( N )

GPS: N69 51.044 E19 24.479


Picture: Sirius around 1890
Axel Theodor Lindahl

Last updated: December 2020