Orkla

Trøndelag,Norway

The steamship Porsanger was built by Canadian Vickers in Montreal and launched in 1918. She sailed for TSC in London before she was delivered to Westphal-Larsen in 1920. Under Norwegian flag she changed owners two times before she in 1954 was bought by Flakkes Rederi and was renamed to Orkla. At Buholmråsa lighthouse she hit ground at Kjerringstaven 27.January 1957. She broke later in two parts, and some salvage was later done on the shallow parts of the wreck. Scattered wreck debris can be seen today over the area, with the stern as the deepest part of the wreckage. The remains rest on a depth of approx 7 to 20 meter some 100 meter northeast of the green pole at the lighthouse.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Orkla
Porsanger
115,8 x 14,8 x 8,0 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
4363 grt
Montreal  ( CA ) 1918
Kristiansand ( N )


Picture: Porsanger, unknown date
H.Larssen-Feddes collection

Originally from Skovheim.org