The steamer Star of the East was laid down as a fishing trawler at Alexander Hall & Sons Ltd in Aberdeen in Scotland as yard number 387. he was launched in August 1901 for the company Walker Steam Trawling & Fishing. In 1912 she was sold to a new owner and was renamed to East, and later that same year she was sold to Fladmark in Ålesund. She was later rebuilt and fitted out as a salvage steamer, and was renamed Draugen. Under a journey from Ålesund to Sagvåg 15. July 1940 with a crew counting ten people, she sailed into a German minefield. A violent explosion erupted and she quickly disappeared in the deep west of Steinsneset south of Bergen city. Six people of the crew lost their lives in the accident. The wreck was located in the summer 2017, and rest today on a depth of approx 110 to 120 meters.

Former names:
Star of the East
110,4 x 21,1x 11,4 f
Tons: Built: Home Port:
183 grt / 62 nrt
Aberdeen ( UK ) 1901
Ålesund ( N )

Last updated: Juli 2020