Glen Tanar

Vestland,Norway

The steamer War Usk was built by Harkness & Sons Ltd in Middlesbrough, and was launched in June 1920 for The Shipping Controller / TSC  in London. Shortly after launch she was sold to John Cock & Son in Aberdeen and renamed to Glen Tanar. Eight years later she was sold again to her last owner South Georgia Ltd in Leith. On a journey to Ålvik loaded with coke she hit ground in Hardangerfjord 1.January 1937. She was stuck till the next morning when she broke in two parts and disappeared in the deep. The shallow part of the wreck and some inventory was salvaged, but the stern still rest in the deep today northeast of Grønnevika, on a depth of approximately 52 to 78 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Glen Tanar
War Usk
198,0 x 30,6 x 12,5 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
876 grt
Middlesbrough ( UK ) 1920
Aberdeen ( UK )

60° 5' 25" N, 5° 55' 21" E

Last updated: September 2019