Spring

Vestland,Norway

The steamer Isle of Elba was built by T & W North Shields in England, and was launched in July 1883 for the British company Robson & Company. In 1897 she was sold to Norway and the company Spring AS and renamed Spring. Under a journey from Newcastle to Trondheim loaded with coal, she collided with the coastal steamer Herdla 16.January 1914. She immediately started to flood and it was decided to beach her nearby.  Course was set towards Ramsøy and they sailed straight into the small bay on the south side of the island. Here she still lies, resting quietly with her bow on a depth of approx five meter and her deepest point at approximately 50 meter. The bay is located right outside the children school on the small island.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Spring
Isle of Elba 210,9 x 32,4 x 14,6 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
903 grt North Shields ( UK ) 1883 Langesund ( N )

60° 26' 8" N, 5° 3' 9" E


Picture: Spring, date unknown
Courtesy of Steinar Norheim

 
Last updated: January 2021