I-169 was lost 4.April 1944 during an American air raid against Truk, where she had arrived to replenish the Japanese forces. The Japanese was warned about an incoming air raid, and as the routines were for submarines at Truk, I-169 dived and laid herself and waited submerged. But after the raid she didn't surface. Divers were sent down, and it appeared that water had flooded the control room. All rescue attempts proved unsuccessful and the whole crew perished. Usually the crew consisted of 70 men, but in a operation in the 1970`s remains of over 100 people were found. Probably because service personnel also were on board when she dived. The wreck rest today on a depth of 40 to 45 meter in Truk Lagoon.

Former names:
322,1 x 26,1 x 15,0 f
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1400 displ ( surfaced ) Kobe ( JP ) 1935 ( JP )

Picture: Submarine I-68
Underwater Video
Bob Hackett & Sander Kingsepp:
"4 April 1944: NW of Dublon Island, Truk. The I-169, under LtCdr Shinohara Shigeo, is replenishing supplies at her anchorage in the lagoon. In addition to her crew some workmen are also aboard, but the CO and 20 other sailors are at Dublon. About 0900 (JST) an air raid warning is issued. The watch officer orders the I-169 to dive immediately, although most deck hatches are still open. The I-169 submerges to avoid the first wave of PB4Y "Liberator" bombers. Since the main induction valve is not secured, the aft compartments flood immediately despite a desperate attempt to re-surface. The rest of the crew seals off the flooded area. After the raid, an unsuccessful attempt is made to contact the I-169. Only then is it realized that she is in trouble. A diver is sent down who contacts the survivors, tapping on the hull.  5 April 1944:Headquarters, Sixth Fleet issues an order to rescue the survivors. A repair ship with a 30-ton crane and the tug FUTAGAMI are dispatched to hoist the bow to the surface. At first, they fail to locate the submarine. Once they find her they attempt a lift, but the flooded submarine is too heavy and the crane's cable breaks. Tapping comes only from the aft compartment. Air hoses are lowered and holes are drilled in the ballast tanks, but it is impossible to signal the crew to open the air valves to the ballast tanks. By 23:00 hours there are no further responses from the crew"