Nagano Maru

Micronesia,Asia

Nagano Maru was a general cargo ship laid down by Mitsubishi Dockyard & Engineering in Nagasaki, and launched in 1917 for the Japanese company Nippon Yusen Kaiska Line. She was sold four years later to Kinkai Yusen but was repurchased by Nippon Yusen in 1939. In September 1941 she was requisitioned by the Imperial Japanense Army as an auxiliary military transport. Loaded with trucks, trailers and military equipment she was attacked 17. February 1944 by airplanes from US Navy Task Force 58 and USS Essex while she laid at anchor. She was hit by tow bombs but was still afloat, until she next morning again was attacked and hit by another two bombs. The wreck rest today standing on her keel on a depth of 42 to 65 meter east of Dublon Island.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Nagano Maru

105,2 x 15,2 x 8,9 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
3810 grt
Nagasaki ( JP ) 1917
Tokyo ( JP )


07o 21´42“N, 151o 54´44“E

Picture: Nagano Maru
From video by Finnborg Braga

Last updated: February 2021