USS IX 300 - ex Prinz Eugen

Micronesia,Asia

The German heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen was built by Friedrich Krupp Germaniawerft in Kiel, and was launched in August 1938. She was commissioned in the summer 1940, and was extensively used in operations during second world war. She participated in Operation Rheinübung together with the battleship Bismarck when they engaged the British naval forces in 1941 at Denmark Strait, where the British battleship HMS Prince of Wales was damaged and the battlecruiser HMS Hood sunk. She was the only major German warship that survived the second world war, and in early 1946 she was confiscated by the US Navy and renamed USS IX 300. In July 1946 she was used as a target ship at Bikini Island under the testing of two atomic bombs, in operation Crossroads. She didn't sink during these tests, and the battered wreck was towed to Kwajalein where she sank six days later. The wreck rest today upside-down with parts of her hull above surface and down to a depth of approximately thirty meter. In a joint operation by the US Navy and the Republic of Micronesia, the wreck was emptied for oil in the autumn 2018.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
USS IX 300
Prinz Eugen
212,5 x 21,8 x 7,2 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
18750 grt
Kiel ( D ) 1938 ( US )

GPS: 8° 45.133' N, 167° 40.996' E
( Source: Scuba Doctor )


Picture: Prinz Eugen in 1945
Originally from skovheim.org

Last updated: January 2021