Bermagui

Queensland

Bermagui was  built by Ailsa Shipbuilding Company in Scotland, and was launched  in 1912 for the company Illawarra & South Coast Steam Navigation Company in Queensland. After the outbreak ow World War Two she was requisitioned by the Australian Navy and refitted as an auxiliary minesweeper. She was returned in July 1946 and spent the rest of her career as a timber transport and gravel barge. She was taken out of service in the late 1970's and scuttled at Tangalooma and Moreton Bay. The area is littered with dozens of other wrecks of all sizes, all of them clearly visible from shore or rest submerged in shallow waters. Also see the wreck of Groper.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Bermagui
HMAS Bermagui
144,0 x 32,1 x 8,2 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
402 grt
Troon ( UK ) 1912
( AU )


Picture: HMAS Bermagui
Courtesy of Royal Australian Navy


Last updated: December 2020