Bombo

New South Wales

Bombo was a coastal steamer laid down by Henry Robb Ltd in Scotland, and was launched in 1929. She was completed the year after and sailed to Australia in February 1930 and the owner New South Wales Government. She was sold six years later to State Metal Quarries Ltd in Sydney but kept her original name. She was requisitioned by the Australian Navy in February 1941 and refitted as an auxiliary minesweeper who served in Australian waters until the end of World War Two. She was returned to her owners in in July 1947 and continued her civil transport duty in New South Wales. Under a journey from Kiema to Sydney loaded with metal, her cargo shifted and she foundered outside Wollongong 22. September 1949. Twelve men of her crew of fourteen lost their lives in the accident. The wreck was found by divers in 1978, and the battered remains of her rest today on a depth of 25 to 30 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Bombo
HMAS Bombo
154,2 x 29,5 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
540 grt
Leith ( UK ) 1930
Sydney ( AU )

34°26'43.0"S 150°55'25.0"E

Last updated: January 2021