USAT Meigs

Northern Territory

West Lewark was built by Los Angeles Shipbuilding & Drydock Corporation, and was launched in 1921 for the US Shipping Board. She was transferred two years later to US Army Transport Service and renamed to USAT Meigs. After the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and brought USA into the war, she was sent to supply the American troops in Timor with military equipment, but the convoy had to be cancelled. While she laid at anchor in Darwin harbor, she came under intense attacks from Japanese airplanes 19.February 1942. She went down in the deep together with five other ships in the harbor. The wreck was heavily salvaged after second world war, but large parts of the hull together with the cargo of Bren Gun carriers, trucks and railroad equipment rest today on a depth of 20 meter south of Darwin.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
USAT Meigs
West Lewark
430,7 x 54,3 x 26,2 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
12568 grt
San Pedro ( US ) 1921 ( US )

12°29'15.6"S 130°49'06.0"E

Picture: Meigs
Courtesy of Navsource