HMNZS Tui

Northern Island,New Zealand

USNS Charles H Davies was laid down for US Navy by Christy Corporation in Sturgeon Bay in June 1961, and was launched in June the following year. She was commissioned in January 1963, and was used as an oceanographic vessel for seven years. In 1970 she was sold to the New Zealand navy and renamed HMNZS Tui. She served until 1997 mainly with acoustic work and testing. Two years later she was rigged down and prepared as part of the artificial program. She was scuttled outside Northern Island. 20.February 1999 about one nautical mile north of Tutukaka Heads. The battered wreck rest today on her port side on a depth of 26 to 33 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMNZS Tui
Charles H Davies
208,9 x 37,0 x 15,0 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1380 grt
Stugeon Bay ( US ) 1962
( NZ )

35°34'56.6"S 174°32'33.4"E

Picture: HMNZS Tui
Courtesy of Navy National Museum


Last updated: August 2019