Peles

Bulgaria,Black Sea

The steamer Adolf Von Baeyer was built by Reichmarinewerft in Wilhelmshaven, and was launched in 1923 for the German company Stinnes Seeschifffahrt & Handel. She was named after the German chemist from Bavaria who had passed away in 1917. Four years later she was sold to HAPAG, and in 1932 to Romania where she was renamed Peles. Under a journey towards Bosphorus in an armed convoy 14. August 1941 together with the tanker Superga, she was torpedoed by the Soviet submarine Shch-211 north of Cape Emine in the evening and went down with only one survivor. The wreck rest today on a depth of 20 meter northeast of Cape Emine.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Peles
Adolf Von Baeyer
129,1 x 16,2 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
5708 grt
Wilhelmshaven ( D ) 1923
Braila ( RO )


Picture: Peles
Courtesy of Angel BU Dive


Last updated: April 2015