Wolga-Don

Russia,Black Sea

Elpidifor was a steamer laid down as yard number 423 by Associated Factories & Shipyard in Nikolayev, and was launched in 1929 for the Soviet navy. Ten years after launch she was refitted as a ore carrier and renamed to Volgo-Don. After the German invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941 she was captured by the Germans and used as both a cable ship and as a tanker. Under a convoy headed for Sevastapol she was spotted and torpedoed by the Soviet submarine L-6 commanded by Gremyako 25. November 1943. Heavily damaged she was taken under tow, but sank about two nautical miles off shore. The wreck rest today standing on her keel on a depth of 20 to 30 meter west of Yevpatoria.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Wolga-Don
Elpidifor, Volgo-Don
70,2 x 10,4 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
956 grt
Nikolayev ( RU ) 1919
( RU )

45°07'00.0"N 32°08'00.0"E

Last updated: December 2020