Oro Verde

Grand Cayman Islands,Caribbean

FS-217 Colonel Armond Peterson was a coastal freighter laid down by Higgins Industries in New Orleans, and was launched in October 1944 for the US Army Transportation Corps. Under Second World War a total of 318 of these coastal freighters were manufactured, known as F or FS for Freight Supply, for the U.S. Army or US Coast Guard. After eleven years of service with coastal surveys in the Caribbean and Central America, she was placed in the Reserve Fleet in February 1956. She was transferred to the US Navy shortly after and renamed USS Palm Beach, where she was used as a research ship. She was stricken from the navy lists in the 1960's and sold to private actors. She changed owners several times before she ended up sailing for the Panama registered company Oro Verde in the late 1970's. After decades of service she was taken over by the Cayman authorities and scuttled as an artificial reef and dive attraction outside Seven Mile Beach 31. May 1980. The battered wreck rest today on a depth of 12 to 20 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Oro Verde
FS-217,Colonel Armond Peterson,
USS Palm Beach
53,9 x 9,8 x 3,7 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
825 grt
New Orleans ( US ) 1944
Panama City ( PA )


Last updated: December 2020