Stavronikita was on a journey from Foynes to Barbados loaded with cement 28. August 1976 when she caught fire after an explosion and the crew had to abandon ship. Six men of the crew perished in the accident. The wreck was towed to Bridgetown and abandoned for almost two years. In 1978 the authorities in Barbados bought the wreck for 30 000 dollar and scuttled her as an artificial reef 22. November that same year. The wreck rest today southwest of Fitts Village standing on her keel on a depth of 25 to 35 meter. Also see the wrecks of Bajan Queen, Berwyn, Eillon, Friars Craig and Trident in Carlisle Bay south of Bridgetown.

Former names:
Stavronikita Ohio, Vasia
108,2 x 15,2 x 7,0 m
Tons: Built: Home Port:
4053 grt
Helsingör ( DK ) 1956 Piraeus ( GR )
13°08'39.5"N 59°38'34.9"W
Picture: Ohio
Courtesy of DFDS

Last updated: March 2021