Arona

Canary Islands,Europa

Carmen M Pillos was laid down in December 1966, and was launched in May 1967. She was delivered in February 1968 to her owner the company Naviera Pinillos. In 1974 she was sold to the company Naviere del Sur and renamed Arona. On a journey from Las Palmas to Lagos 20.April 1978, a fire erupted in the engine room which quickly spread. Orders to abandon ship was given and an emergency signal was sent out. Several ships came to assist, and two days later an attempt to tow the still burning Arona started. In the morning 23 an explosion erupted and the hull started leaking. Despite frantic attempts to save her, she went down the same evening. The wreck rest today on her starboard side on a depth of 20 to 35 meter outside Cueva de los Chuchos, south of Las Palmas.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Arona

96,7 x 13,8 x 8,2 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1758 grt / 756 nrt
Fene ( ES ) 1968
Santa Cruz de Tenerife ( ES )

N 28 1,948 W 15 22,523
( Source: Grandio )


Picture: Arona, unknown photographer
Courtesy of B. Tiller


Last updated: October 2015