HMS Edinburgh

Barents Sea,Europe

HMS Edinburgh was a Town class light cruiser laid down by Swan Hunter in September 1936 for Royal Navy. She was launched in March 1938, and was commissioned the year after. She was extensively used as an escort after the outbreak of world war two, and was refitted in March 1940. From December 1941 she was assigned protecting the Arctic convoys with lend lease material to Murmansk. Under a journey from Murmansk to Iceland commanding the escorts of convoy QP-11, she was spotted 30. April 1942 by the German uboat U-456. Two torpedoes were fired which both hit her stern, where most of Edinburgh's cargo was stored. Sge carried 4,5 tons of Soviet gold bars destined for UK as payment for war material. She was still afloat and was taken under tow, heading back towards Murmansk. Two days later they were engaged  by the three German destroyers Z-24, Z-25 and Hermann Schoemann. Edinburgh was again hit by a torpedo, which sealed her fate. Orders to abandon ship was given, and HMS Foresight sunk her with a torpedo. The wreck was found in 1981 on a depth of 240 meters, and a salvage operation to retrieve the gold was launched. After a second salvage expedition in 1986, only five gold bars remains unaccounted for.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMS Edinburgh
16
613,6 x 64,9 x 22,6 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
10636 displ ( std )
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
( UK ) 1938
( UK )


Picture: HMS Edinburgh in 1941
Courtesy of Imperial War Museum, Public domain

Last updated: January 2021