F 2

Orkney Islands,Europe

The F 2 was built as a Geleiteboot ( escort boat ) in 1936 by Germania Werft in Kiel. She was built with new and experimental engine design, which proved to rather unsuccessful. In 1938 to 1939 she was rebuilt at Wilhelmshaven and her tonnage increased slightly. She ended up in Scapa Flow after the second world war, and sank northeast of Lyness in 1946 during a gale. The wreck rest today on her port side on a depth of 15 to 20 meter north of Gutter Sound at Rysa Lodge. Salvage operations were done on the wreck and the wreck behind the bridge is just a big pile of  junk. Also see the salvage barge YC-21.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
F 2

263,0 x 29,0 x 11,0 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
759 grt Kiel ( D ) 1936  ( D )

GPS (WGS84): N 58 50.7 W 3 11.5


Picture: F 2
Originally from skovheim.org
Underwater Video
Last updated: September 2019