SMS Friedrich Carl

Lithuania,Baltic Sea

Friedrich Carl was an Aldaberg armored cruiser laid down by Blohm & Voss in Hamburg in August 1900. She was launched in June 1902 and was commissioned in December 1903. She was assigned to the Scout squadron in the German Kaiserliche Marine, and sailed on several official tours overseas. She was retired from active service in 1909 and was used as a torpedo training ship until the outbreak of world war one. She then re-entered active service in August 1914 as flag ship for a cruiser squadron in the Baltic Sea. On her way towards Libau to attack the Russian port, she hit two Russian mines outside Memel 17. November 1914. She stayed afloat for five hours before she disappeared in the deep approx 38 nautical miles west of Klaipeda. The wreck rest today on a depth of 82 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Friedrich Carl

415,0 x 64,4 x 24,5 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
9087 displ ( std )
Hamburg ( D ) 1902
Danzig ( D )


Picture: SMS Friedrich Carl in 1912
Courtesy of Max Dreblow, Public domain


Last updated: January 2021