Georg Buchner

Poland,Baltic Sea

Charlesville was a passenger and cargo liner laid down by John Cockerill in Hoboken, and was launched in 1950 for CMB0 in Antwerpen. She was the last of five ships of the Albertville class, all destined to serve the colonial route between Belgium and Congo. She was sold in 1976 to the German company VEB Deutsche Seerederei in Rostock and renamed Georg Büchner. She served as a training and accommodation ship until she was decommissioned in the early 2000's  She was sold for scrap and under tow to Klaipeda she sank under  suspicious circumstances outside Gdynia 31. May 2013. The wreck rest today on her starboard side on a depth of 10 to 35 meter.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Georg Büchner

153,7 x 19,6 x 8,4 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
11090 grt
( BE ) 1950
Rostock ( D )

54° 56′ 1.2" N 18° 31′ 42.78" E
( Source: Baltic Wrecks )


Picture: Charlesville
Courtesy of John Ross


Last updated: December 2020