KMS Graf Zeppelin

Poland,Europe

KMS Graf Zeppelin was one of two aircraft carriers ordered by the German Kriegsmarine, and the only one that was ever launched. She was laid down by Deutsche Werke in Kiel in December 1938, and was launched in December 1938. But the project was never finished due to constant changes in the design and shifting construction priorities. She was in the Baltic Sea until the end of world war two, and to avoid that she should fall in Soviet hands, she was deliberately scuttled by German soldiers outside Stettin March 1945. Two years later the Soviet Union raised the submerged wreck and later that same year towed her out to sea and used her as a target ship for the Soviet navy. The wreck was found by the Polish research and survey vessel St. Barbara in July 2006. The wreck rest today on her keel on a depth of 60 to 85 meter about 30 nautical miles north of Wladyslawowo.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
KMS Graf Zeppelin
Flugzeugtrager A 262,5 x 36,2 x 8,5 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
33350 displ Kiel ( D ) 1938 Stettin ( D )

55° 31' 3" N , 18° 17' 9" E
( Source: Wraki Baltiku )


Picture: Graf Zeppelin in 1947
Courtesy of Naval Encyclopedia

 
Last updated: December 2020