HMS Laurentic

Ireland,Europe

Alberta was an ocean liner laid down by Harland & Wolff in Belfast in 1908. Under construction her name was changed to Laurentic, and she was launched in September 1908 for White Star Line. She was completed in April 1909 and had her maiden voyage to Montreal that same month. After the outbreak of World War One she was requisitioned by Royal Navy In September 1914 as a troop transport. She arrived England the month after carrying parts of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. She was refitted as an armed merchant cruiser and operated in Africa, the Indian Ocean and Asia until July 1916. In the second half of 1916 she transported precious metals to Canada, including gold. On her second journey to Canada, she loaded 3211 gold bars as payment for munitions in USA. She left Birkenhead 23. January 1917 and two days later she hit two mines outside Malin Head and sank within an hour. Extensive salvage work was done on the wreck, and most of her precious cargo was raised. The  battered remains of her rest today on a depth of 30 to 40 meter in open waters northeast of Fanad Head lighthouse.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMS Laurentic
Laurentic
550,4 x 67,3 x 41,2 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
14892 grt
Berlfast ( UK ) 1908
Liverpool ( UK )

55° 18′ 13″ N, 7° 35′ 25.08″ W

Picture: Laurentic
Courtesy of
State Library of Queensland

Last updated: November 2019