HMS Laurentic - F 51

Ireland,Europe

The second Laurentic was laid down by Harland & Wolff in Belfast in 1926. She was the last steamship to be built for White Star Line and was launched in June 1927. She sailed on the route between Liverpool and Canada until 1936. After the merger of the White Star Line with Cunard she was used  as a cruise ship until she was laid up in 1935. In August 1939 she was requisitioned by the British Admiralty and was refitted as an armed merchant cruiser. Responding to a distress call from the steamer Casanere who had been torpedoed outside Ireland, she was late at night 3. November 1940 spotted by the German uboat U-99 under command of Kapitänleutnant Otto Kretschmer. An engagement followed that lasted until the morning 4. November. Laurentic was hit by three torpedoes before she disappeared in the deep. 49 men lost their lives in the sinking. The wreck rest today according to reports from technical divers on a depth of 105 ( ? ) meter in open waters west of Ireland. There might be some confusion between the first HMS Laurentic and this one. We have not been able to verify the truth about this wreck location.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMS Laurentic
Laurentic, F-51 578,2 x 75,4 x 40,6 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
18724 grt
Belfast ( UK ) 1927
Liverpool ( UK )

54° 09'N, 13° 44'W - Grid AM 4796
( Source: Uboat.net )


Picture: Laurentic
Courtesy of Uboat.net


Last updated: March 2014