HMS Lawford

France,Europe

The escort destroyer De-516 was built at Boston Navy Yard and launched in August 1943 for the US Navy. She was taken over by Royal Navy in the beginning of 1944 and equipped as a HQ ship and frigate under the name HMS Lawford ( K-514 ). Under Operation Overlord, the Allied invasion of Normandy in June 1944, she operated as a headquarter in Task Forje J and support for the Canadian forces at Juno Beach. 8. June 1944 she was attacked by German bombers from Kampfgeschwader 100 and sunk. 37 men of the crew perished. The wreck rest today in two parts on a depth of 15 to 30 meter outside Luc-Sur-Mer.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMS Lawford
DE-516, K-514
283,6 x 35,1 x 8,1 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1140 displ
Boston ( US ) 1944
( UK )

49°25′43N 00°23′47W


Picture: K-514 in 1944
Courtesy of Navsource


Last updated: August 2019