M 263

France,Europe

The German minesweeper M 263 was built at Atlas Werke AG in Bremen and launched in 1942. She was sunk in battle with British forces outside St.Nazaire 6.August 1944 while she escorted an ammunition convoy. The British forces consisted of the light cruiser HMS Bellona and four destroyers and they managed to sink six ships, among these M 263 and the guard boat V-414. The remains of M 263 rest on a depth of approx 50 meter north of Ile d`Yeu south of St.Nazaire in Brittony.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
M 263

62,3 x 8,9 x 2,8 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
770 displ
Bremen ( D ) 1942
St.Nazaire ( F )


Picture: German minesweepers at sea
 

Recommended reading;
"Kriegsmarine Coastal Forces"
by Gordon Williamson

Last updated: June 2019