M 36

Denmark,Baltic Sea

M 36 was a German M1 class minesweeper laid down by Ferdinand Schichau in Danzig, and was launched in 1940 for the Kriegsmarine and was assigned to 1. Minensuchflotille in 1941. Until February 1944 the Flotilla was used for security and escort duty, and laying mines. In February 1944 the flotilla moved to Latvia and was based in Narva. With the German retreat on the Eastern Front, they were reassigned and used for security and patrolling in the western Baltic Sea. M 36 was spotted and sunk by Allied airplanes in Langeland strait 4. May 1945. The wreck rest today upside down on a depth of 20 to 30 meter southeast of Langeland.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
M 36

68,1 x 8,7 x 2,7 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
713 displ ( std )
Danzig ( D ) 1940
( D )

GPS ( WGS84 ): 54:43,793 10:46,473
( Source: Vragguiden )

 
Last updated: August 2018