HMS Port Napier

Scotland,Europe

HMS Port Napier was laid down in 1940 at Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson in Newcastle. Since the Royal Navy needed more ships in the war against Germany, Port Napier was taken over by the navy in June 1940 and completed as a minelayer. She was put in service for 1.Minelaying Squadron. 27.November 1940 a fire broke out, and with lots of ammunition on board, she was deemed a grave danger. She was towed across the channel towards a remote bay where she was abandoned. Some time later a huge explosion ripped the bridge section of. In 1955 the Royal Navy finally decided to remove the dangerous cargo. The broken remains of her rest on a depth of 18 to 25 meter between the two buoys outside the coastline of Loch Alsh.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMS Port Napier
Port Napier,M32
152,0 x 21,0 x ? m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
8947 grt Newcastle UK ) 1940  ( UK )


Picture: The remains of HMS Port Napier
Originally from skovheim.org