HMS Vanguard

Orkney Islands,Europe

HMS Vanguard was laid down at Vickers in 1908, and was launched 22.April 1909. The year after she stood fully equipped as a dreadnought in the St.Vincent class for Royal Navy. She was assigned to Home Fleet in Scapa Flow and participated at the Battle of Jutland in 1916, and patrolled the English coastline and the North Sea. While she laid at anchor in Scapa Flow 9.July 1917, the ammunition storage on board suddenly exploded and she immediately went down. Of the crew of 845 men only two men survived the accident. After the Great War parts of her got broken up and salvaged, and the whole mid section is today flattened out. The remains of HMS Vanguard rest today on a depth of 14 to 30 meter south of Barel of Butter and is permanently marked with a buoy. The wreck site is considered a war grave.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMS Vanguard

536,0 x 84,0 x 28,0 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
19700 displ
Barrow ( UK ) 1909
Scapa Flow ( UK )

58° 51′ 23.76″ N, 3° 6′ 22.32″ W
( Source: Wikipedia )


Picture: HMS Vanguard
From "Disaster in Harbour, sinking of HMS Vanguard"

Last updated: September 2019