ORP Wicher

Poland,Baltic Sea

ORP Wicher was the lead ship of the Wicher class destroyers built at Chantiers Navals Francais in Caen, and was launched in July 1928 for the Polish Navy. She was commissioned two years later. Under the German invasion of Poland in September 1939 she was attacked by German airplanes and destroyers several times and took severe damage. She later sank at the harbor in Hel after being attacked by German JU 87 airplanes. Wicher was re-floated by the Germans in November 1939, and towed away and beached in shallow waters. After the war she was used as a target ship, and partly scrapped in the 1960's. Its little left of the vessel, only parts of the hull and mechanical parts spread out on a depth of 10 to 18 meter at the southern tip of Hel.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
OPR Wicher

351,0 x 34,0 x 11,0 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1540 grt
Caen ( F ) 1928
Gdynia ( PL )

54° 36′ 43" N 18° 46′ 51" E
( Source: Baltic Wrecks )

Picture: ORP Wicher
Wikipedia,Public domain

Last updated: December 2020