Yakov Sverdlov

Estonia,Baltic Sea

The destroyer Novik ( Новик ) was laid down at Kirov Plant in St.Petersburg and launched in 1910 for the Russian navy. She participated in first world war, and during the revolution in Russia in 1917 she chose the Bolshevik side. She was modernized in the 1930s and was then renamed Yakov Sverdlov (Яков Свердлов). In second world war she was sunk outside Talinn during evacuation of forces from the city. She ran into a mine and sank 28.August 1941. The wreck was found and identified in 2018 outside Jaamunda.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Yakov Sverdlov
Novik
102,1 x 9,5 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1597 grt
St.petersburg ( RU ) 1910
St.petersburg ( RU )


Picture: Novik in 1913
Imperial RU, Public domain


Last updated: April 2019