Imperial Eagle

Malta,Mediterranean

New Royal Lady was a ferry built by John Crown & Company in Sunderland, and was launched in 1938. She was sold to
Malta in 1947 and renamed Crested Eagle.  She was used as a local freighter between the islands of Gozo and Malta , and for some time used as a floating storage vessel. As the story goes according to local rumors, she was sold to a dive club in 1995. She was deliberately scuttled to create a dive attraction 19. July 1999. The wreck rest today on her keel like a classic Donald Duck wreck on a depth of 40 meter northeast of Quwra Point.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Imperial Eagle
New Royal Lady, Crested Eagle 45,0 x 9,2 x ? m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
257 grt Sunderland ( UK ) 1938 Gozo ( MT )
35.9635 N 14.4338 E
Picture: Crested Eagle
Courtesy of Mike Tedstone