Peace

Israel,Mediterranean

Westpolder was built in Holland as a freighter in 1940. She changed name and owners a few times before she was bought by Abie Nathan and other Peace Activists in 1969 and renamed her Peace. From 1973 to 1993 she was used as a floating radio station in the Mediterranean, usually anchored up outside the city of Tel Aviv. Even tho they never had an radio license, they were accepted by the Israeli government.  At its peak its estimated they had as many as 20 million listeners. For various reasons, it was decided to scuttle the ship and shut down the radio in the early 1990's. Peace was scuttled outside the Israeli coast 28. November 1993, and rest today standing on her keel as a classic Donald Duck wreck on a depth of 100 meters about 15 nautical miles offshore.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Peace
Westpolder, Rolf
170,0 x ? f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
353 grt / 574 dwt
( NL ) 1940
Panama ( PA )


Picture: M/V Peace
Unknown photographer

Last updated: January 2021