The steamship Winestead was built by Humphrys & Pearson Company in Hull in England, and was launched in 1871. She was delivered to Bailey & Leetham Ltd and sailed for them the next twelve years. In 1883 she was sold to a new owner in Hull, and in 1895 she was sold to Carlo Allodi in Livorno and renamed Varse. In 1913 she was sold to Orlando Figli and renamed Varese. Under a journey from Sfaz to Venice she struck an Austrian mine outside Pula18. January 1915 and went down with 22 men. The wreck rest today on a depth of 33 to 42 meter west of Pula standing on her keel as a classic Donald Duck wreck. The bow section has collapsed after the mine explosion and all the years underwater. Also see the wreck of the steamer Baron Gautsch who sank in 1914.

Former names:
Winestead, Varse
269,9 x 33,3 x 24,4 f
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1673 grt
Hull ( UK ) 1871
Livorno ( IT )

Last updated: December 2020