Vasilissa Olga

Greece,Mediterranean

The destroyer D-15 was built in 1938 in Glasgow for the Royal Hellenic navy. She was put in service in February 1939 as Vasilissa Olga and participated in operations against the Italians in 1941. When Germany invaded Greece in April 1941 she took part in the evacuation of Crete, and then sailed to Alexandria. Together with British forces she escorted Allied convoys and after modifications in India she was again ready for service in early 1942. Again she did service as an escort and participated later in the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943. While she laid at anchor outside the island of Leros 23.September 1943 she was attacked by German JU88 planes and sunk. 72 men of her crew perished. The wreck rest today on a depth of 20 to 32 meter in Lakki harbor.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Vasilissa Olga
D-15, H 86
319,1 x 31,1 x 8,1 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1350 grt / 1371 displ
Glasgow ( UK ) 1938
(GR )


Picture: BP Vasille Olga
Courtesy of Oocities


Last updated: September 2019