HMCS Cape Breton

British Colombia,Canada

HMS Flamborough Head was a Beachy Head class repair ship laid down by Burrard Dry Dock Company Ltd in July 1944. She was launched October that same year and was commissioned in May 1945. She was sold in 1953 to the Royal Canadian Navy and renamed to HMCS Cape Breton. Here she was used as a repair ship and training establishment for technical apprentices. In 1959 she was converted to an escort maintenance ship at Esquimalt, and served on the West Coast. In February 1964 she was decommissioned and laid up in reserve.  In the pate 1970's she was used briefly as an accommodation vessel at Esquimalt. She was sunk as an artificial reef outside Snake Island northeast of Nanaimo 20. October 2001 and rest today on a depth of 18 to 40 meter. Also see the wreck of HMCS Saskatchewan.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
HMCS Cape Breton
HMS Flamborough Head, F 88 441,6 x 57,0 x 20,0 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
8580 grt
Vancouver ( CA) 1944
( CA )


HMS Flamborough Head
Picture FL13145, Public domain
Courtesy of Imperial War Museums

Last updated: December 2018