USS Conestoga


USS Conestoga was an ocean going tug laid down by Maryland Steel Company in 1903, and was launched in November 1904 for Reading Company. After the US joined the First World War, she was bought by US Navy in September 1917 and renamed her SP 1128. She was used on the east coast until 1920, when she was transferred to the Pacific coast. En route from San Fransisco to her new assignment in American Samoa, she went down with all hands lost 25. March 1925. An unidentified wreck was located in 2009 about three nautical miles outside  Southeast Farallon Island resting on her keel as a classic Donald Duck wreck on a depth of 52 meter. The wreck was in 2015 confirmed as the USS Conestoga by NOAA and the US Navy.

Former names:
USS Conestoga
AT 54, SP 1128
170,0 x 29,0 x 15,0 f
Tons: Built: Home Port:
420 displ ( std )
Baltimore ( US ) 1904
Tutuila ( US )

Picture: USS Conestoga in the early 1920's
Courtesy of US Navy - NH71299

Wanna know more? Visit
Naval History & Heritage Command

Last updated: August 2017