Gunilda

Ontario,Canada

Gunilda was a luxury yacht laid down by Ramage & Ferguson in Leith in Scotland and was launched in 1897 for J.M Sladen. She was later sold to the American oil baron William Harkness in New York, and was considered to be the most beautiful, and also the flag ship, of the esteemed New York Yacht Club. While on a recreational tour on Lake Superior she hit ground at McGarvey Shoel 11. August 1911. Rescue tugs arrived the site to assist, and while they attempted to drag her off , she developed a dangerous listing towards starboard and disappeared in the deep a few minutes later. The wreck was found in 1967 and rest today standing on her keel on a depth of 72 to 82 meter on the north side of Copper Island, southeast of Rossport.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Gunilda

59,4 x 8,0 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
385 grt
Leith ( UK ) 1897
New York ( US )

48°47'03.0"N 87°25'20.0"W

Last updated: March 2021