USTS Texas Clipper

Texas,North America

USS Queens was built by Bethlehem Steel Corporation as an assault transport for US Navy and was launched in September 1944. She was assigned to the Pacific and served in the Far East until June 1946. She was sold to American Export Lines in November 1948 and renamed Excambion and returned to MARAK in 1959. Six years later she was loaned out to Texas Maritime Academy as USTS Texas Clipper. After decades of service she was transferred to Texas Parks & Wildlife in 2006 and rigged down. The year after she was towed out and scuttled as an artificial reef outside South Padre Island 17.November 2007. She rest today on her port side on a depth of 20 to 42 meter approx 17 nautical miles off South Padre Island.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
USTS Texas Clipper
USS Queens, APA 103, Excambion
473,1 x 66,0 x 25,0 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
7970 displ
Maryland  ( US ) 1944
( US )

26 11' 24.695"N 96 51' 40.238"W
( Source: Aquanauts Dive )


Picture: Texas Clipper
Courtesy of Navsource & David Nixon


Last updated: August 2015