El Qaher

Egypt,Red Sea

HMS Myngs was a Z class destroyer laid down at Vickers Armstrong in May 1942 for the Royal Navy, and was launched in May 1943. She was commissioned in June 1944, and assigned to 2nd Destroyer Flotilla. Under second world war she participated in attacks on the German battleship Tirpitz, and engaged in an attack against the German convoy KS 357 in 1944 where she assisted in sinking the minesweeper M 427 and several other ships. She was stricken from the navy lists in 1954, and the following year she was sold to Egypt and renamed El Qaher.  During the war of attrition between Israel and Egypt, she was attacked and sunk by Israeli Dassault Mirage airplanes while she laid at anchor 16. May 1970 outside Berenice. The wreck rest today still visible on the surface on a depth of 0 to 20 meter south of Berenice harbor.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
El Qaher
R 06, HMS Myngs
362,7 x 35,7 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1710 displ ( std )
Barrow in Furness ( UK ) 1942
Berenice ( EG )

GPS 23 55.33" N 35 29.35" E
( Approx location )



Last updated: December 2020