Turbo

Egypt,Red Sea

The tanker Turbo was built at Laing Shipbuilding in Sunderland, and was launched in 1912 for Anglo Saxon Petroleum Company. She survived the German uboats in The Great War even tho she once was attacked by a uboat in 1916. She was chartered by Royal Navy after the outbreak of world war two and put in service in the Mediterranean and the Red Sea. She was heavily damaged 20. August 1941 under an air attack and was thereafter used as a stationary tanker.  Early in April 1942 she was taken under tow, but outside Ras Banas she broke in two during a storm. The bow section was scuttled the same day by Royal Navy, and the day after also the stern went down. The wreck of the stern section rest today on her port side on a depth of 20 to 30 meter close to shore at Ras Banas.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Turbo

118,0 x 15,5 m
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
4782 grt
Sunderland ( UK ) 1912
London ( UK )

N 25 16N E 35 25
( Source: Red Sea Wrecks )



Picture: Turbo
Courtesy of Helderline


Last updated: April 2019