Turkia

Egypt,Red Sea

Livorno was laid down at Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering in England and launched in December 1909. The year after she was put in service for the company Thomas Wilson, Sons & Co ( Wilson lines ). In 1935 she was sold to Hellenic Lines in Greece and was renamed Turkia. At the start of second world war she was put in service transporting war material, and under a journey from New York to Greece in May 1941 loaded with vehicles, weapons and explosives she caught fire. At the Suez canal a she caught fire near the cargo of explosives 17. May and the crew had to abandon ship. Shortly after the cargo exploded and the ship sank shortly after. The wreck rest today on a depth of 15 to 25 meter near Zafarana light.


Name:
Former names:
Dimensions:
Turkia
Livorno
298,5 x 42,6 x 16,4 f
     
Tons: Built: Home Port:
1671 grt
Yorkshire ( UK )
Pireus ( GR )


Picture: Turkia
From the e-book "Suez Wrecks"
by Peter Collingsi


Last updated: April 2019